pink blog

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Stair Staining

My husband and I had been struggling for a while with what to do with the stairs to our basement. We wanted to keep cost at a minimum so decided on just staining them.  Not that difficult a decision after pricing out carpeting - not my style or using stair treads.  

Off to the Home Depot we go.  We   decide on  Minwax Dark Walnut stain.  It is very similar to the colour of the flooring throughout the main level of our home.  

We bought this stain over a year ago.  I think both my husband and I thought this would be a bigger job than it has actually turned out to be thus far.

Stairs before: 
Dirty and in need of a good cleaning and sanding. 

Stairs after: 

I can't say that I was overly impressed with first stair stained.  As I progressed, I liked them more and more.  By the time I was finished, I was loving the colour.  

The husband will be applying the varathane.  He tells me, with a little smirk, that I'm not patient enough to apply the  varathane.  Funny!!  He knows me too well.  

The railing will also be removed and stained the same colour of the stairs.  

My crafting and decorating heart is happy today.   

What project did you tackle today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment